- To create a calculated field, choose a published dataset by clicking the green + sign:
- Add the Field Name, Formula and click Validate:
- Once the formula Validates successfully, click Save Field. For example, to add a calculated field of 'Profit':
This calculated field can now be used as a field from your dataset!
Calculated Fields Examples
- A ratio that dynamically calculates as the underlying data changes.
- If dividing 2 integers, multiply the numerator by 1.0 to return a decimal output
- Ex: Clickthrough Rate = SUM(clicks) * 1.0 /SUM(impressions)
- Simple arithmetic between columns in your dataset
- Ex: Profit = Revenue - Cost
- Easily calculate the difference between two dates, or between a date and the current date.
- Ex: DATEDIFF(day, project_start, project_end)
Create Categories and Groupings
- Groupings and categories can be created if they do not already exist in the dataset using Case When statements.
- Ex: CASE WHEN customers < 5 , THEN 'SMB', ELSE 'Majors'
- Get a result across data aggregations
- Ex: Revenue = SUM(profit) - SUM(cost)
Percent of a Whole
- Get a percentage of a segment over a whole
- Ex (percent of revenue that comes from the iOS platform): SUM(CASE WHEN [Platform]='iOS' THEN [Price] else 0 end) / SUM([Price])