How To Connect Marketo
Why Connect Marketo?
There are many great reasons to have CaliberMind connect to both Marketo and Salesforce. The most common use case is giving CaliberMind the ability to ingest historical activity data such as page visits, UTMs, and form submissions for better scoring and attribution. Additional notable use cases when an additional connection between Marketo and CaliberMind is advisable:
- You only store a subset of Contact data in Marketo to avoid additional fees, but still want to incorporate associated data for engagement scoring
- You only store a subset of Contact data in Salesforce to avoid additional fees, but still want to incorporate associated data for engagement scoring
- You have segmentation in Marketo that can't be replicated in CaliberMind without a connection to Marketo
- You want to push segments (such as target accounts for Account-Based Marketing based on CaliberMind engagement data) from CaliberMind into Marketo
- You want to incorporate "disengagement" data (like unsubscribes) in your engagement scoring model
- You want to see all marketing email-related activity in your CaliberMind account history timelines
- You want to store a history of all marketing activities while you are evaluating new vendors (to prevent data loss)
Which Tables Migrate to CaliberMind?
- Merged Leads
- Activity - Click Email
- Activity - Email Bounced
- Activity - Fill out Form
- Activity - Interesting Moment
- Activity - Unsubscribe
The activity tables are very useful if you want to incorporate positive and negative interactions only stored in Marketo (like unsubscribes, email bounces, and clicks) into your engagement model. We recommend this as a best practice.
Setting Up Marketo
- Verify the SOAP, BULK, and REST APIs are enabled.
- Verify sufficient API Limits (we won't use more than the allotted below by default). We recommend that Marketo databases with over 100k contacts increase their limits to prevent a significant processing delay.
- At least 400MB/day of Bulk Processing
- At least 40,000/day in SOAP API calls
- Ask your Marketo Administrator to create an "API ONLY" user for CaliberMind. This user will need to have a
CLIENT SECRET. You'll also need your
- Create a unique API key for CaliberMind's connection. For steps on creating Marketo API keys, refer to their REST API Quick Start Guide
- Finally, you'll need information about the SOAP API:
- Log into CaliberMind at https://my.calibermind.com/
- Go to Settings >> Integrations >> Add Connector >> Marketo (REST):
- Add the Marketo REST Connection using:
- Click 'Test Connection.'
- Make sure custom objects are included in your sync.
- Set the lookback date for historical data. By default, CaliberMind imports all data from 2017 to the present. Because of Marketo API thresholds, historic data may take several days to sync during the initial export.
- When prompted to set your Marketo API threshold, keep in mind that CaliberMind can automatically throttle API calls to prevent maxing out your overall Marketo API quota. We also want to respect your other integrations' API needs. Our default record call volume is 25,000 per day from your REST API limit. We also use up to 500MB Bulk Processing per day to sync historic data from Marketo Activities.
- Add the Marketo SOAP connection using:
Your work here is done! Nice job.
If you notice a connection error, the most common cause is that your organization has IP Whitelisting enabled. Please visit this link to see CaliberMind's IP List. You can add these to Marketo as "safe" to enable the connection.